Interest Facts About Fazilka
1. Gazal Maestro Mehndi Hassan started to perform at a young age and the first concert of dhrupad and kheyal with his elder brother is reported to have been held in Fazilka Bungla, near present D.C. House/Badha Lake (1935) district Fazilka of Undivided Punjab.
2. From July 23, 1934 to July 23, 1949 generation and supplying of electricity in Fazilka was with Fazilites private company “Fazilka Electric Supply Company Limited” jointly owned by Harbhagwan Nanda and Harcharan Dass. Later Harbhagwan Nanda’s Son Rajan Nanda married to Ritu Kapoor Nanda, a daughter of famous bollywood actor Raj Kapoor. Presently Rajan Nanda is a Chairman of Escort Group. Rajan and Ritu Nanda’s Son Mr Nikhil Nanda is a presently a Joint Managing Director of Escorts Group and a Husband of Shweta Nanda, son in law of Amitabh Bacchan.
3. Five Fazilite have been awarded with Padma Award, highest civilian honour of the country. Late Kanwar Surinder Singh Bedi awarded twice, Padamshri in 1966 and Padam Bhushan in 1972 for playing an important role as deputy commissioner Amritsar during Two wars with Pakistan. Famous veteran singer and actor Fazilite Pushpa Hans in the year 2007 was awarded with Padamshri. World Famous Neurosurgeon Fazilite Dr Jagjit Singh Chopra was awarded with Padam Bhushan in the year 2008 for their valuable contribution in the field of Medicine and in the year 2009 Bhai Nirmal Singh Ragi awarded with PadamShri.
4. Guru Nanak Dev Ji paid his visit to Fazilka during (1517-1521). His final longest journey (Udassi) lasted over four years towards west mainly Baghdad, Mecca and Medina. Bedi clan at Fazilka is the successor of Guru Nanak Dev Ji and Captain M.S. Bedi is 17th direct decedent of Guru Nanak Dev ji.
5. Two most famous and glamour bollywood actress Mandira Bedi and Malaika Arora Khan have their ancestral route in Fazilka. Mandira is a granddaughter of famous Fazilite Urdu Poet Kunwar Mohinder Singh Bedi “Sahar”. Actress Malaika Arora father Mr Anil Arora born and brought up in Fazilka before joining Merchant Navy.
6. The famous Punjabi dance style “Jhummar” was invented in Fazilka by Baba Pokhar Singh (1916-2002) of Fazilka.
7. After Saunders murder on 17th December 1928 at Lahore, Shaheed-e-Azam Bhagat Singh escaped and reached to Village Danewala of Fazilka Tehsil, where he hides himself.
8. Fazilka Tilla Jutii is registered as a Geographical Indicator to the Name of Fazilka under Patent Act of India. Fazilka Tilla Jutti was the First Choice of Ex. President of India Late Giani Jail Singh, Ex. Chief Minister of Punjab Late Shiri Partap Singh Kairo, Late Shiri Beant Singh Ji and Late Shiri Darbara Singh. Presently Fazilka Tilla Jutti is the the first choice of Badal Family, and Shiri Sukbir Badal, M.P. Faridkot visit every year Fazilka to buy Jutti. Many Bollywood stars and singers mainly Gurdass Mann, Juhi Chawla likes Fazilka Jutti.
9. Veteran sportsperson from Fazilka Sardar Gurbachan Singh Brar from Fazilka was the Former Indian Hockey Team Captain in the Year 1950.
10. Before Partition Fazilka Was the Biggest Wool Market in the Asia and it was established by British as one of the main trading Town. British named 10 steamer ships to the name of their favorite trading town and they named First Single Cylinder Steam Ship of the World “FAZILKA” in the year 1890 (South Africa).
11. Fazilite Meeran Chadha Borwankar, IPS is the first female Police Commissioner in India at present posted as Commissioner Pune Police. Another daughter of this small town Ms Nitu Bhattacharya (Thatai), Commandant 88 CRPF, Women Battalion, Head of Only Women Battalion in the Country